No one is eating this cereal, so I decided to try to use it to make some muffins for breakfast. It’s a great way to add fiber to any muffin recipe without overpowering the muffins. I played around with a recipe I found online and came up with these muffins for breakfast. The muffins are sweetened with ripe bananas and Splenda, so not only do these muffins have extra fiber but are also sugar free! And for those of you counting calories, they are only 130 calories each! They were fast to make and the family LOVED them!
1 cup bran cereal
3/4 cup skim milk
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 teaspoon of orange zest
2 medium mashed ripe bananas (I used really brown ones I had in my freezer.)
1/2 cup granulated Splenda
1 1/4 cups flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1. Heat oven to 400°F. Place muffin liners in a 12-cup muffin pan and spray muffin liners with some spray vegetable oil if you have it. (I use silicone ones that I wouldn’t trade for the world!)
2. In medium bowl combine egg, milk, oil, and orange zest with whisk. Add in very ripe soft bananas.
3. Stir in cereal and let stand a few minutes.
4. Stir in Splenda.
4. In a sifter, add flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Sift into egg mixture.
5. Once combined, it will still be lumpy, stir in cranberries.
6. Divide batter evenly among muffin cups.
7. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until light golden brown.
The Skinny: Serves 12 @ 130 calories
Here is the nutrition breakdown:
Like this post?