For our early Father’s Day celebration, my husband made us dinner. Yep, you read that right– he cooked for himself on Father’s Day! He likes cooking and I am more than willing on some nights to give up the cooking task. He made this super yummy dish and I had to stop mid-eating to take a picture of it. I told him it was totally blog worthy!
This chicken meal combines a variety of earthy spices with the sweetness of currents and the crunch of almonds. Not to mention the whole dish is pretty low calorie! I hope you enjoy as much as we did! This will become a regular meal for us!
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 cup almonds, chopped and toasted
2 tablespoons of garlic, minced
1 pound of boneless, skinless chicken breast, cubed
1 cup salsa
1/4 cup water
3 tablespoons dried currants
1 tablespoon honey
3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
2 cups cooked brown rice
1. Toast your chopped almonds. You can either use the broiler or use a small amount of oil in a pan. The broiler adds no extra calories!
2. Add olive oil to a pan and cubed chicken. Cook until almost done.
3. Add garlic and continue cooking chicken until cooked all the way through.
4. Add salsa, water, currants, honey, cumin and cinnamon to the chicken.
5. Reduce heat to medium, cover and cook for 20 minutes. Stir occasionally. (If the sauce gets dry just add a little more water, it will vary based off the type of salsa you used.)
6. Serve over cooked brown rice and top with some toasted almonds.
The Skinny: Serves 4 @ 383 calories