What comes to mind when you think of tofu? For me, it’s the Nickelodeon show “Doug.” If you didn’t grow up watching Doug, here’s a little video to explain my reminiscing.
After spending our first year of marriage with the motto “eat, drink and be merry,” Nathan and I are finally getting serious about losing the “love weight” and eating better. With that in mind we’ve been taking walks, riding our bikes and plan on attending spinning, pilates and yoga classes at the Y. The hard part of course is making healthier choices when it comes to eating. We’ve heard lots of great things about tofu but it’s one of those foods a lot of people shy away from (i.e. my dad who seemed absolutely disgusted by the recipe below). Nathan thought this recipe sounded good so here is our first adventure with tofu…
2 lbs firm tofu
1/2 cup mayonnaise (or Miracle Whip)
3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
2 tablespoons chopped parsley
1 tablespoon dill
1/2 cup green onion, diced
salt and pepper
1. I always drain my tofu first.
2. I cut it into 1/4″, wrap it in paper towels on a cookie sheet, with another one on top, weighted down with some heavy canned goods.
3. Let sit in refrigerator for 10-20 minutes.
4. Mash the tofu in a bowl with a wooden spoon.
5. Mix tofu well with remaining ingredients.
6. Chill and serve.
This is great for sandwiches and also delicious on wheat crackers.