24 Apr Butter Chicken
I was inspired to make this for dinner tonight from my cousin’s facebook post. Sometimes you forget how good Indian food is!! I originally found this Butter Chicken recipe from foodnetwork.com, but I thought it might turn out to be too tomatoey tasting, so of course I adapted it to my liking!
1 tablespoon of vegetable oil
1 pound of chicken, cubed into 1 inch pieces
3 tablespoons butter
1 large onion, chopped
2 tablespoons minced garlic
2 teaspoons minced ginger
1 tablespoon garam masala
1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon cayenne
1 tablespoon tomato paste
2 (8-ounce) cans tomato sauce
1 (14 1/2-ounce) can petite diced tomatoes in juice
1/4 Greek yogurt
3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
1 teaspoon of sugar (optional)
Hot basmati rice, for serving
Pita bread (or if you have time, make my Naan recipe)
1. In large skillet heat vegetable oil until hot. Cut chicken into cubes while this is heating up.
2. Cook chicken in oil until no longer pink in the middle of the largest pieces, about 10 minutes.
3. Remove chicken and keep warm in a bowl.
4. Melt the butter in a same skillet used for chicken over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until brown, about 7 minutes.
5. Add the garlic and minced ginger and cook for 1 minute.
6. Add in spices and tomato paste and cook for 1 minute.
7. Pour in diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, and the cooked chicken that has been set aside. Cover skillet and cook on low for 15 minutes.
8. Stir in yogurt and whipping cream. Reduce heat to very low and let simmer for 10 minutes. Stir often to prevent scorching.
9. Taste the sauce and see if you need to add the sugar. I usually add it if the tomatoes are too acidic. (As a side note, I did not have plain Greek yogurt, only strawberry Chobani. I just scooped the unmixed yogurt off the top and did not need to add any sugar. It gave a nice slight fruity flavor to the sauce, but not noticeable unless I pointed it out.)
10. Serve sauce over basmati rice and bread on the side.
Like this post?