10 Aug Why I Run
I recently read a little comic by the guy who runs TheOatmeal.com about why he runs long distances and it got me thinking on my run this morning. Why do I run….
(Me post 5 mile run —please don’t judge my for my fanny pack….I love my water!)
1. To Lose Weight- I am 13 pounds away from my pre-baby weight and I have found that running burns a ton of calories in the shortest amount of time. I run to lose that 13 pounds –and I will lose it.
2. To Exercise Without Kids- I love my kids, but because that I stay home with them I am around them ALL THE TIME running allows me to run away. –Run far, far away from my responsibilities of being a mother/wife and have some good alone time.
3. To Create Memories With My Kids- I know, this totally contradicts the statement above, but I cannot always run without my kids. My husband works a strange schedule, so it is very rare when I get to run alone (without waking up at dawn while the family sleeps.) Luckily I purchased this awesome double jogging stroller that I can ACTUALLY run with!
I love this stroller and use (and talk) about it all the time. I load the kids up and I do “running park tours”. We run to the first park and I set my timer for 10 minutes for them to play. Then we run to the next par, etc. The little breaks allow me to recover and I can usually get a good 5 mile run in, they get to play, and we have lots of fun going to a ton of parks in a few hours. In the evenings we end our runs with a stop at the frozen yogurt shop in town and everyone enjoys that!
4. Vanity– I run for defined legs, smaller rear, and tighter abs. It is VERY rare that you see someone who is a regular runner and they don’t look good. Running works so many muscles in your body that it’s almost impossible not to see the side effects. And like I said above, I still have some baby weight to lose!
5. My husband-
My husband is a runner and without him I would still be that girl that runs a 15 minute mile. (Really I would be that girl who walks a few blocks and feels winded.) He likes to run, I like to try
to run with him, we like to run races together, and it’s nice we have in running in common. We constantly ask each other how far we ran, where we ran, how fast we ran and it’s a normal topic of conversation we both have. (Secretly I am trying to run faster and father with him, but he is a 15 mile type of guy so I have some ways to go!)
6. Nature- I run to enjoy the beauty of the outside. I live barely outside of city limits and my runs are always scenic. Most of my neighbors have horses, there are acres of forest, acres of fields, deer galore, and bunnies that hop out of my way when I run by. Every once in a while I have to stop and take a picture of something that reminds me how much I love this area we live in.
7. For Myself- The final reason I run is for “ME” time. I can say that 75% of the days I go running I don’t want to do it. It’s hard. I feel every muscle in my legs working, my chest is tight from breathing hard (or maybe my asthma?), my abs start hurting after a while, and I am usually pretty tired after my first mile. However, the feeling I get when I am finished is AWESOME and keeps me going. Not only do you experience the phenomenon known as runner’s high, but you also have the chance to really think while running. It is sort of my therapy to mull over thoughts in my mind, hatch out problems, make plans, or even sometimes it’s my time to just have nothing in my mind.
That’s my reasons for why I run. I may not be a marathon runner, the fastest runner, or the best looking runner, but then again I am really just running for myself and that is really all that matters.
Do you run? If so, I would love to hear the reasons why you run!
Like this post?