I have this board on Pinterest that I call my Future Projects board. I was looking through it and decided that my goal today would be to complete one of these projects. An item I pinned a few weeks ago was a compost bin made from pallets and I decided to tackle that job today.
You will need some L-brackets. These brackets are about four inches per side. (Cost $15)
If you want a hinged door on the font, like I do, you will need to purchase some hinges. I found this kit that was for a gate and was cheaper then buying the hinges, screws, and hook separate. (Cost $22)
In addition to the above, you will need a circular saw, drill, screw driver and confidence!
Upon laying them out, I decided that I needed to cut some of the pallets where the wood overhangs. On the back pallet, I cut off the overhang on the inside of the pallet. For the sides, I just needed to cut the overhang wood on the side that touched the back pallet. The front, or the hinged door, I had to cut the wood overhang off all of it except for the side with the hook. (You will see later on.)
Set up the back wall and the sides together to test out your cuts. Hopefully you didn’t end up with some really warped pallets! Your cut pallets should line up like below or at least close enough. You are dealing with used pallets, so they are all probably made slightly difference and warped a little. You really just need the corners to be close enough to screw your L-brackets into each pallet.
Once you make sure that they fit together, good enough, remove the back pallet and attach one end of the L-bracket. I found it was much easier to do this with the pallet laying down. I suggest drilling a hole before you put in your screws. It’s a little extra work, but it’s easier then trying to force a screw into the wood. Also it helps to avoid the nails that are already holding the pallet together. Also, try to screw your L-brackets into the 2×4 boards that are holding the pallet together. It will last longer and be sturdier.
Once you have the L-brackets installed on the back pallet, attach the left and the right pallet.
I like to put the screws in partially so I can line up the bottom correctly. You should have something that looks like this.
Once you get the L-brackets attached you have the basic outline of the compost bin. Now, this next part will most likely require two people. I had to wait for my husband to get off work to help me out. If you want a swinging door, you just can’t set it on the ground and attach it. It won’t swing open. I needed his muscles to hold my front pallet a little up from the ground so I could attach the hinges.
Now when my husband came home, he wasn’t too excited about the area I chose for the compost bin. He wanted it more out of sight, which is totally understandable, so we moved the three pallets already attached together a little further back in the woods.
The pallet front looks pretty high compared to the rest, but we needed it to fully swing open. I finished making sure the hinges were attached and sturdy.
I attached the gate hook and we were finished!
It’s really pretty big once you get it all done and I am very excited to get some good use out of it.
And the new setting in the back of the woods (behind the boat trailer) is just perfect!
And I already moved over what little I had of composting material into the bin. The leaves will be falling soon and I can’t wait to add them to my composting bin. Hopefully all this compost will be worth it and we will have a great garden next year!